Ashley Nicholls Victoria
Self-portrait through your eyes. Self-portrait through my eyes
In my paintings I look at the way in which we as humans tend to repress and conceal our inner demons. We do this by placing layer upon layer over the top as we continuously push them further down. We assume that by doing this our problems will all be resolved. This however could not be further from the truth. This process only masks the inner turmoil we possess and is merely a short term fix. Although we may feel that we have hidden our demons they are still very much lurking underneath and within us.
In this series of works I am using a direct reference to graffiti and street art culture and the way in which the work is constantly being painted and written over, concealing what was once beneath. The work below is no longer visible but it is still lurking in the darkness beneath, just as our demons are hidden. Out of sight out of mind, right? Right?
- Install and open the Junaio app
- - Junaio is a free app that you can download from either Google Play (android) or App Store (IOS)
- Scan the QR code which is located on the sign and unique to each location
- - Open the Junaio app and point your mobile device at the QR code to the right on the sign
- - Tap the Scan button on the top right hand corner of your mobile device
- - You will see a message that reads 'Scanning for AR content', followed by the name of the location's artist in the top left hand of the screen when it is successfully scanned
- Find the image in Step 3 on the sign - this is where the hidden artwork is located on the building.
- - Point your mobile device at this location and the hidden artwork should appear in the viewfinder
How to use your mobile device to discover the other locations and get more info on the artwork
Point your mobile device at the Off the Wall logo on the left of the sign. You should see the word 'Map' appear. Tap the Map button on your mobile device screen to view more information on the artist and their artwork, and discover the next and previous locations on the Street Art Trail.
Please note that this installation is highly dependent on available light.
The artwork may not appear, cut in and out, or “wobble” due to excessive glare or insufficient light at the time of viewing.
If this should happen, we suggest returning at another time to view the artwork.